Can I Still Wear My Contact Lenses During the COVID-19 Crisis?
YES- you may continue to safely wear your contact lenses. There is currently NO evidence to suggest any increased risk of infection or contracting coronavirus through contact lens wear as long as you follow the guidelines below.
Remember to follow strict hygiene measures:
- Wash your hands BEFORE and AFTER handling your contact lenses or touching your eyes
- Patients wearing daily replacement lenses- continue to discard of your lenses after each use
- Patients wearing monthly/bi-weekly lenses- disinfect your contact lenses daily following all manufacturer instructions for proper cleaning
- If you are still concerned about disinfection, we recommend switching to a hydrogen peroxide solution system such as Clear Care **read and follow instructions carefully with Clear Care**
- If you experience any redness/pain/discharge, remove your contact lenses immediately and call our office
We are extending contact lens prescriptions on a case by case basis for up to six months without an evaluation. If you are low on your supply of contact lenses we recommend that you call our Lantana office to order them ASAP. (Click HERE to submit a request or call us) We are not sure how long our distributor will continue to fill orders, so if you think you will need contact lenses in the next 2-3 months we suggest ordering them now. All orders will be delivered to your home with free shipping.
Finally, we are offering the option of switching to a daily disposable lens temporarily for patients who are concerned about re-wearing their monthly lenses during this time. If you would like to discuss if that is an option for you, or you have questions about COVID-19 and contact lens wear, please call the office. As always, if you have questions or concerns, call us.
The Doctors and Staff of Eye Care Professionals